Language Arts, 6-9
- The Montessori Lower Elementary Language Arts curriculum consists of several linguistic components studied concurrently. Children will have three years to explore and revisit the concepts offered through the various materials: Parts of Speech/Grammar, Word Study, Sentence Analysis, Mechanics of Writing, and Verb Conjugation.
- Verb Conjugation 6-9 from Alison’s Montessori is part of the the Language Arts curriculum. This material helps children gain awareness of the unique syntactic (words order) and semantic (words form) design of the English language.
- A kinesthetic systematic approach will ensure that children have visualized, and therefore, understood how language is organized and applied.
- Later in upper elementary, a more complex system will be offered to further the mastery of conjugation (Verb Conjugation 9-12).
- • Instructional Guide Chart
- • 1 Regular Verbs Booklet (verbs 1-10)
- • 1 Irregular Verbs Booklet (Verbs 11-20)
- • 6 Timeline Charts (past, present, future)
- • Cards containing labels for tenses, persons, pronouns, and verb forms.
How to use it
This material can be organized in a 20 drawer hardware container. Each drawer contains a set of cards to organize a specific verb. The cards consist in:
-3 labels for the 3 tenses (Past, present future)
-3 sets of labels (Singular/Plural)
-3 sets of labels (Pronouns: I, you, he…)
Using the Instructional Guide, the adult conducts a formal presentation with Verb 1 Cards, in the Present tense.
Children revisit the parts of speech (Pronoun/Verb). They observe the Timeline Chart for Present tense, and visualize the position of the Pronoun in relation to the Verb. They are aligned; therefore, it’s the Present tense.
Following this observation, the adult can bring awareness to the differences between 1st/2nd/3rd person, Singular vs. Plural. The Pronoun cards are organized, and Verbs cards are matched.
Children can be invited to use the Regular Verbs Booklet to check their work. Children can independently practice Regular Verbs using sets Verbs 1-10, and Irregular Verbs sets Verbs 11-20. Another intervention will be required when reaching Irregular Verbs to explain what makes an irregular verb irregular.
- In conclusion, Verb Conjugation 6-9 provides opportunities for children to learn further linguistic structural rules. The material provides an independent kinesthetic work that helps children become better writers and interlocutors.
This experience has been made possible, thanks to Alison’s Montessori, for entrusting me with Verb Conjugation 6-9, at no cost. I chose to write about this material. I write unbiased honest reviews on Montessori materials to inspire others seeking to enrich children’s learning experience.
Ready for a lesson? Please follow to receive notifications for more amazing Montessori materials!